I recently stumbled upon the website called dumbmen. I found it quite interesting. At first I thought it would be a satirical play on feminism, very much like the twitter account Meninist before they just reposted pictures. Boy was I wrong... Dumbmen actually is a blog where they expose how the advertising world bashes men. Shocking right? The audience for this blog is men who are tired of being objectified by the media! Yes that too is a thing. For the most part its an interesting blog but seems...a tad undeveloped. The reason I say this is because of the lack or words. I think the whole concept is good but just posting the videos doesn't really do much for the cause. I don't really know if they are serious or not because some of the captions miss the point and just regurgitate the video to us...like we are dumb men. #Irony
The video above is a ad from Minute Made. This ad displays two scenarios before and after drinking the new Minute Made drink. In both scenarios the woman tells the man " I think you are the father of one of my kids". The first scenario he assumes he knows the woman from a one night stand that's why he says "Cancun spring break of 99'...". The second scenario he drinks the Minute Made drink and his brain functions better(As advertised). He figures out the woman is a nun at the school his daughter attends. The tone is silly of course but has an underlying message. The message being that men automatically think about sex. This seems to be a popular stereotype. This ad depicts men as pigs that automatically assume everything is about sex and embarrass themselves. The target market for this ad would be men in between the ages 20-29. Men love ads that funny and have sexual double entendres. This is why I believe it was posted to dumbmen.com but the admin seems to have missed the message entirely.
No comments:
Post a Comment