Saturday, September 20, 2014

Entry #4: The State of Hip-Hop

Now before we begin a quick reminder beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me Hip-Hop was a way of expressing our social economic struggles. When I look at these current rappers I shake my head... it is safe to say Hip-Hop is dead. The Reasoning behind it is that true MC's are struggling and in re-turn talent-less individuals are making a killing due to the corporatization of the art. Record labels are the ones to blame. Their greediness has lead to rappers selling out for chump change. This has lead to perpetrating music. Rappers need to realize their net worth and self worth. Rap from the soul...be original if you want to rap about having nothing to having something cool. But tell me what part of you did you have to sacrifice? Tell me a story of what it took. Don't make a whole album of how rich you are just fronting. Sure there are rappers that are dope out there but they are being overshadowed by mindless corporate puppets. Corporations have took our culture and exploited us. The message is no longer in the music; it  has evolved into a big business. Making it a business has changed the rules from whose the best to who can make us more money. But we as consumers are to blame as well for supporting wack cookie cutter rappers. What good is a cool beat with wack rhymes I'd rather listen to an instrumental.

2 comments:

  1. I really like how you view the music industry I particularity the rap one. I'm curios on what rappers you do think are worthy to be in the industry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just off the top of my head immortal technique, Jedi Mind Tricks, Common, Nas, Brother Ali, Outerspace, The Psycho Realm, Demigodz, King Syze, Army of the Pharaohs, Childish Gambino, Big L, Kendrick Lamar, Killah Priest, La Coka Nostra , MF Doom, Tech N9ne, Cypress Hill. That's just a few rapper worth the mention

      Delete